This workshop will present the foundations of Cognitive Coaching, an approach to professional relationships which focuses on supporting the thinking of colleagues in the areas of planning, reflecting and problem resolving. The specific skills and strategies included in this workshop lead themselves to developing a school culture of collaboration, reflection and a professional learning community.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of workshop activities, learners will:
- Understand the essence of Cognitive Coaching, how it differs from consulting and evaluation.
- Increase consciousness and craftsmanship in applying interpersonal communication skills to develop
trust and rapport.
- Understand the power of a structured professional conversation.
- Learn and practice specific active listening strategies.
- Practice coaching skills in planning.
- Practice coaching skills in reflecting.
- Understand the characteristics of mediative questions.
- Identify five kinds of feedback and understand the impact and purpose.
- Develop coaching skills using a meta-coach.
The workshop is highly interactive and will include:
- Modeling and role play
- Small group activities
- Learning partners
- Readings from text and course guide
- Numerous opportunities to practice skills