Journey to Belong: An Awareness Programme on Statelessness will be organized at UCSI, North Wing. on 4th - 5th August 2016 (Thursday - Friday).
* For more information, please visit this website https://www.facebook.com/events/1039000982858276/
"Journey to Belong" is an awareness programme organised by U-Schosand supported by UNHCR, the UN mandated agency to work with refugees and stateless persons. Through this programme, we aim to create awareness among the public and the youth community on the issue of statelessness in both Malaysian and global contexts, aligning ourselves with UNHCR's Global Campaign to End Statelessness by 2024.
WHAT IS STATELESSNESS?
The international legal definition of a stateless person is "a person who is not considered as a national by any State under the operation of its law". In simple terms, this means that a stateless person does not have a nationality of any country. Today, approximately 10 million people around the world are stateless. Stateless people are often denied basic rights such as getting an education, access to healthcare services, freedom of movement, securing a career, becoming an eligible voter, buying a house, and even getting married.
WHAT DO WE WANT TO ACHIEVE?
Apart from elevating awareness among the public regarding statelessness, we want to establish a platform that engages you, our nation's promising youth leaders, in constructive discussion over this issue, in the hope of generating feasible ideas and solutions to resolve statelessness.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THE PROGRAMME?
The main event takes place on 4th August 2016 (Thursday) from 9.30am to 5.30pm. The following are the highlights of the event:
1. Programme Officiation feat. Tan Sri Razali Ismail, chairman of Suhakam as the Guest of Honour; Dato' (Dr) Hj Mohd Karim Bin Hj Abdullah Omar, Chairman of UCSI University Trust; and Mr. Richard Towle, UNHCR Representative to Malaysia
2. Sharing Session by a Formerly Stateless Person
3. Forum Session themed "Youth Resilience and Education in Overcoming Statelessness" with Lead Campaigners
4. Teacher's Guide to Teaching Children on Statelessness
5. "Journey to Belong: Once Stateless in Malaysia" Social Media Campaign by U-Schos
6. Call-to-Action: UNHCR's Global #IBelong Campaign (check it out athttp://www.unhcr.org/ibelong/)
7. Youth Roundtable: An exclusive session to study statelessness in depth
8. Multimedia and Photograph Exhibition
WHAT'S THE MAIN ITINERARY?
(4th August 2016 | Thursday | LeQuadri Ballroom, UCSI University North Wing Campus, Kuala Lumpur)
09.00am - 11.00am : Officiation of "Journey to Belong"
01.00pm - 02.30pm : Dialogues and Interactions
03.00pm - 05.30pm : Youth Roundtable (special invitation to youth and university students only)
(5th August 2016 | Friday | Function Rooms 1 & 2, UCSI University North Wing Campus, Kuala Lumpur)
09.00am - 05.30pm : Multimedia and Photograph Exhibition (continued from day 1)
WHO SHOULD JOIN?
We welcome everyone to be part of us, as long as you want to know what statelessness is, and wish to learn what you can do to help end statelessness.
HOW DO I JOIN?
Simple! All you need to do is as follows:
1. Go to http://www.uschos.com/events-activities/journey-to-belong/public-application/
2. Read and understand the instructions.
3. Fill up the entirety and choose your application option.
4. Submit your application.
A confirmation email will be sent to you as soon as your application is accepted.
Admission is free of charge.
ELE/ECA/SWA hours are applicable as follows:
14/15/2 hours for participation in Officiation
28/30/4 hours for participation in Officiation + Dialogues & Interactions
42/45/6.5 hours for participation in Officiation + Dialogues & Interactions + Youth Roundtable
(Roundtable entry is subject to approval by the organiser.)