Borneo Ultra-Trail Marathon 2017 will organized at Kiulu Valley on 18 Feb 2017.
The Borneo Ultra-Trail® Marathon 2017 is an extreme, outdoor ultra trail marathon that will take runners through a combination of natural jungle settings and cultural landscapes via trails, dirt tracks and back-roads in the Kiulu Valley North of Kota Kinabalu. There will be sweeping views over the surrounding ridges and valleys as well as to the majestic Mount Kinabalu to the north-east of the area.
The 2017 route has been updated compared to the 2016 route to cater for the new start/finish location at Pekan Kiulu and to minimize the use of a road section presently being "upgraded" and undergoing hill cutting with risk of land slides. Outlines of the amended 2017 routes and elevation profiles are provided below together with course details. More detailed route descriptions will be provided to all competitors prior to the race.
The cutoff times have been extended to cater for the slight amendments to the routes in terms of both distances and elevation gains.
The Water (Aid) stations are numbered W1 to W10 based on the 100 km course. The 12k, 30k and 50k courses will skip W1 to W5 and go to W6 from the start - please refer to the course maps below.
NOTE The distances and elevation gains/losses provided are measured with a Garmin GPS62S. You may find that you get different data if you are carrying a gps or other device to measure distances and elevations during the race. You will most likely record longer distances. This is due to a combination of inaccuracies in the GPS recording through for instance loss of signal under forest canopies, additional distance around aid stations etc. Wrist-type gps devices may not have as good reception and be as reliable as the larger GPS units.
12km Route Map
The 12 km route climbs two parallel ridge lines with good views to Mt. Kinabalu on a clear day.
30 km Route Map
The 30 km route has been extended from the 27 km of the 2016 route to 30 km for the 2017 course. The cutoff time has been amended to cater for the extended course.
50km Route Map
The 50 km route is an extension of the 30 km route with two extra loops.
100km Route Map
The 100 km route resembles a figure 8 with two loops each of 50 km, see figure below. The blue loop with the largest hills and the most technical section on the course will be completed first to ensure daylight on the technical section. Competitors then return to the start/finish area, which also works as half-way station with access to the competitors half-way drop-bag and provision of the main halfway meal. This will be followed by the yellow loop, which is identical to the 50 km course.
Entry Fees & Conditions
Standard Entries close on 30th December, 2016. Late entries after 30th December 2016 may be possible but with no guarantees of t-shirts and medals - please enquire via email.
Standard Entry Fees Per Runner (up to 30th December 2016)
12K: RM 100 per person
30K: RM 150 per person
50K: RM 300 per person
100K: RM 500 per person
Group Registrations and Payments (up to 30th December 2016)
12k: RM 900 x 10 runners (Save RM100)
30k: RM 1350 x 10 runners (Save RM150)
50k: RM 2700 x 10 runners (Save RM300)
100k: RM 4500 x 10 runners (Save RM500)
Each runner is allocated:
- 1 Official Race Bib & timing chip system for tracking and results
- Finish Baggage tag x 1 per competitor (12k, 30k, 50k and 100k)
- Drop bag tag x 1 per competitor (100k only)
- Official Borneo Ultra-Trail® Event Tee
Finishers of the event are further provided:
- A finishers medal (all categories)
- A finisher's t-shirt (except the 12k category)
- An official e-cert stating their official time and standing in the event which can be downloaded once the official results are completed.
Bus Transfer Fees
- Bus transfer to Start Line/Return Journey (2 way transfer): RM100 per person
- Bus transfer (1 way only): RM50 per person
Bus Transfer departure/drop off points for BUTM 2017
- Downtown Kota Kinabalu (opposite Hyatt Regency Kinabalu/Next to Burger King) (referred to as Downtown in your booking)
- Avangio Hotel, Metro Town, Kota Kinabalu (referred to as Metro Town in your booking)
- Mega D Aru Hotel, Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu (referred to Mega in your booking)
Competitor Responsibilities and Requirements
Runners are required to be self sufficient on the race course with water stations (WS) set up to cater for re-filling of hydration packs or water bottles at intervals of about 10km along the marked race course. Participants must carry a set of mandatory safety kit according to their category as stated in the mandatory kit list. Runners are expected to be physically conditioned for their category and distance they will be participating in.
Runners upon registering for the event agree to:
- Adhere to the event rules and regulations at all times during participation
- Adhere to the mandatory kit and the rules pertaining to the use of the items
- Accept the risks associated with ultra trail running and the outdoors
- To compete in a fair and sensible manner without resorting to any form of cheating or going against the spirit of the race
- To compete and complete the event drug free (i.e. without resorting to illegal medicines or substances)
All runners must adhere to the set rules and regulations, as well as the medical requirements stated on the registration form that they do not suffer from any of the stated medical conditions in order to participate in this event.
Runners suffering the following medical conditions ARE NOT ALLOWED to participate in this event:
1) Congenital or rheumatic heart conditions
2) Hypertension (not allowed to compete in the 50k and 100k category.)
3) Myocarditis and other heart conditions
4) Coronary heart disease, coronary arterial disease
5) Serious arrhythmia
7) Any other disease which can be aggravated by running
8) Allergic reaction to bee stings
Mandatory Kit List
Please note the mandatory kit list may be updated between now and at least 30 days before the event date. Do check updates relating to the event to stay informed at all times.
Download the full list here.
Please Refer to Separate Section on web site
Hotels near bus departure points for BUTM 2017
There are a large number of hotels available in Kota Kinabalu to suit the requirements by runners. Some examples close to the bus departure locations are listed below.
1-Avangio Hotel (Accor Group) at Metro Town, Kota Kinabalu.
This 4 star Accor Group (Holiday Inn/Mercure/Sofitel/Ibis) hotel is 200 meters from the Borneo Ultra Trails S/B office and official registration center for BUTM 2017 and is a convenient location for runner's flying in exclusively to compete in BUTM 2017 who are not interested in the night life or being in the city center and want an easy passage from hotel to bus to the START/FINISH venue of the event.
Hotel is located 20 minutes from Kota Kinabalu International Airport and is serviced by airport van's and taxi's.
2-Shangri-La Hotel at Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu (5 star hotel)
3-Mega D Aru Hotel at Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu (3 star hotel)
4-Crown Borneo Hotel at Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu
5-Golden Hill Hotel, Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu